Monday, July 21, 2008

That's the Dog

So, Ian and I haven't been getting much sleep since Evan has arrived. Apparently, the lack of sleep is starting to affect both of us. Here is a little example of what happened the other night as the sleep deprivation set in.

It was the middle of the night, and Ian was sound asleep in bed. Suddenly, I wake him up. "I've got one for you," I said. Ian startles and has no idea what I'm talking about.

"One what?" he says looking around at the dark room.

"The baby," I say. I've been known to say that to him as I hand off the baby to him.

Ian sits up, a bit more aware and concerned. "The baby is in his crib, Katy," Ian says still looking around the dark room confused.

"No, he's right there," I say annoyed gesturing to a bundle at the end of the bed.

"Sweetie," Ian says in a relieved voice, "That's the dog."

And with that the dog lifts his head from his usual position at the foot of the bed to see what all the conversation was about, and Ian and I roll back over and go back to sleep.

I wake up in the morning with no recollection of any of that conversation because I had done it all in my sleep! Exhaustion will lead you to do funny things. We are trying to get more naps from now on. :)

I will leave you with a sweet picture of Evan sleeping because that it what he was doing peacefully in his crib during this whole conversation.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think he looks bigger and balder. Too cute!!
Love,
Jennifer

Life and Times of Zachary and family said...

Ya know, that story sounds very familiar. When we first had Zachary, we had a bassonett in our room for him...and in the middle of the night, my Ian woke up panicking going "I dropped Zach I dropped Zach, hes under the bed" and I woke up terrified...turns out it was a dream, and he was cradling my stuffed bunny!!