Sometime during this busy holiday season my big boy Evan turned three and a half. I can't believe it! The next milestone that we celebrate will be his fourth birthday. I don't think I'm ready for him to be that old.
This 3.5 year old is definitely a little boy now, and as with almost every little boy, he now has a special affinity for anything relating to the potty. Apparently him and his little preschool buddies love to talk about all things "poopy". We've had to institute new rules at home banning certain words around the house. However, you'll still catch him whispering these illicit phrases to Ben whenever he thinks that mom isn't looking. Sigh, I suppose it will only get worse as he gets older.
Evan the 3.5 year old is also one of the most verbal kids I've ever met! He is frequently telling me things like, "mom, you are a delicate flower about skydiving" or "I'm a one man show", or "it's a party in my nostrils". I never know what's going to come out of his mouth next. He also loves writing his name and getting my help to write other things like the new sign on his door that says, "Be nice or leave!".
Evan the 3.5 year old also loves to read. Now that his brother has also developed a love of books I'll frequently catch them fighting over some book or another. He also has the most amazing attention span. He would listen to story time for hours if someone would read to him. His favorite during this time of year is "The Grinch who Stole Christmas". He can sound out and read a few words on his own. He knows some sight words like his name and his brother's name, and he can sound out little short vowel words like "cat" and "snap". Even though I'm a teacher, it amazing to watch my own kid as he starts to read little books.
Evan the 3.5 year old has never been a real physical kid. However, now he's beginning to figure out how fun getting out there and moving can be. He's finally started to run up to the top of the play structure and slide down the slide on his own with no hesitation. He's started to enjoy wrestling with his friends and daddy as well as jumping on the bed and onto or off of a variety of furniture. He races around the cul-de-sac on his Strider bike and is beginning to get good at his pedal bike. While he still needs the occasional push, he's getting to the point where I'm thinking knee and elbow pads might be a good idea.
This 3.5 year old goes to preschool three days a week and played on the soccer team in the fall. Now, when I saw "played soccer" I really meant stood on the field and rolled around with his friends. But he had a good experience, which is all that counts. We're still trying to figure out what sport he might like to try this spring, maybe gymnastics? I can't wait until he's old enough to try his hand at tennis, and he can't wait until he can learn to play the guitar.
Evan is a wonderful, wonderful little boy and I definitely couldn't imagine life without him. We can't wait to see what he thinks of next!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
He is the cutest thing ever and I love to listen to what comes out of his mouth. You never know. He was saying today that something the dogs did was "unacceptable." Ha. Love it. Enjoy every age they are. Love, Mommie Dearest
Post a Comment