Monday, December 26, 2011

Christmas-Heatherly Style

This Christmas season we were lucky enough to get to visit both sides of the family.  So, our first stop was about 10 hours down the road at Great-Grandma Rose's house in Jackson, TN.   Our alarm went off at 5am and we piled the kids in the car as quickly as we could.  This way, they would sleep for the first couple hours of the drive, or at least this was the intent.  While Benny quickly passed out, Evan was awake for about an hour and a half before he finally went to sleep.  Oh well, the rest of the drive through the mountains and then plains of NC and TN went smoothly.  We made record time-arriving in Jackson at around 2:30 that afternoon with fairly cheerful boys.

After the uneventful drive we got to spend a wonderful few days enjoying our family.  It had been several years since Ian had been able to get out to TN to visit Grandma Rose and almost a year since the boys and I had been, so we were all glad to get back.  The Mhire Family was there, so the boys were definitely glad to see their cousin Jack again so soon.  They were also really looking forward to seeing their Grandma and Grandpa again, Ben had been saying Grandpa over and over again for the few days before we arrived and once he saw him he didn't want to let go. 

The boys had a wonderful time at their Great-Grandma Rose's just as I have had my whole life.  I always so looked forward to vacations at 49 Bayberry Drive and have so many wonderful memories there.  It was so nice to see my boys making the same happy memories-memories of dumping out hundreds of Grandma's old keys over and over again, memories of hugging the Santa Claus that has always sat in Grandma's house every Christmas, memories of watching Tom and Jerry on Great-Grandma's lap, memories of styling Great-Grandma's house as she sits on the floor, and so many more. 

We also celebrated Christmas with this side of the family while we were there.  The tree was stocked with presents which we all happily investigated.  The boys thoroughly enjoyed all of their goodies from The Mhires as well as Great-Grandma.  We also had a great time, as always, digging out of Great-Grandma's boxes of goodies.  She always has one for the boys and the girls.  The highlights were two "lovely" wrap shirts that Audra and I selected and modeled (we're not quite fashion models yet) and a light up remote control car for Ian.  Great-Grandma is always far too generous and I absolutely loved the handkerchiefs from when she was younger (one that she received at a shower and one that belonged to her mother) as well as several beautiful necklaces that she had made herself.  The boys were completely spoiled with goodies every step of the way with books and bath toys.  However, the best part, as always was just getting to play and have a good time with family.

Of course, we ate well too!  The famous Bitler tins of goodies had made an appearance again filled with cookies, crackers, fudge, and homemade candy bars of all descriptions.  The cheese logs came out for snacks, and we feasted on waffles, noodles, roast, ham, corn casserole, jello, and much more.  Needless to say, I never need to eat again!

Oh, but don't worry the eating didn't stop there, we also were lucky enough to visit the Heatherly household and visit Aunt Beth and Uncle Roy.  They were gracious hosts, let us stay at their house one night, and fed us with homemade lasagna accompanied by many delicious goodies.  Their house was beautiful and the whole night was lovely.  However, I have to say that the highlight was when Uncle Babe (Roy) tried on some boxers over his pants, and Evan just had to follow suit and put his briefs on over his jeans.  They were both quite stylish. 

Family is so important, and I feel so lucky that our family and my boys are surrounded by such wonderful family on all sides.  They felt so loved while they were in TN and came home feeling the same love that I felt for Grandma Rose and the house on Bayberry Dr.  I already miss my family, and I can't wait until the next time we get to see them.

What a great holiday...and just wait until next time with more tales from the Davis family holiday 2011!


 (One of many delicious family meals)


 (Grandma and Evan enjoy some breakfast goodies.)


 (Great-Grandma and Evan have a deep conversation during an episode of Tom and Jerry.)


 (Present time...)


 (Yum, chocolate...)


 (...please don't touch Great-Grandma's couch...)

 

 (The best present is always the box!)


(Tommy, Audra, and I model our stylish items from the goody boxes with Grandma Rose.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So much fun. I am so glad that you guys decided to take the time and make the effort to come to see Great Grandma. She hasn't stopped talking about the little boys since you guys left. I hope we get together soon too. Love, mommy dearest