Sunday, June 27, 2010

Blueberries!


It's that time of year again!  Blueberries are ready and waiting to be picked.  We heard that the blueberry patch had opened, and on opening weekend our family and lots of our toddler friends all headed down to the nearby blueberry patch to be a part of the fun!

We arrived at Herndon Hills Farm to pick our blueberries early on Saturday morning.  The best part about this blueberry patch is its proximity to our house.  We could almost walk there if we really wanted to.  You could tell that other people had heard about the opening too because there was quite a crowd.  However, we were still able to find our friends and get started picking. 

Although other people disagreed with me, I thought that blueberry picking was easier than strawberry picking because you didn't have to bend over to the ground, and there were many more blueberries to be had on each plant.  However, I might have thought that because I was very pregnant when I went strawberry picking.  It would have been very hard this time to bend over this time while carrying a somewhat fussy Benjamin around in his carrier!

Evan was an instant professional picker.  He held onto his bucket and went from bush to bush picking only the bluest blueberries.  The one problem, however, was that all of the ones that he picked ended up in his mouth and not in the bucket.  Oh well, that's the way that berries are best anyway. 

We had a wonderful time and came home with a bag full of delicious berries.  So far we have enjoyed blueberry tart, blueberry pancakes, blueberry smoothie, and just plain fresh blueberries.  We may have to head back again before the season is over!


(Ian and Evan and our friends Abby and Quinn select only the best blueberries.)


(It sure is fun to pick blueberries!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum, those blueberries look delicious!
Love,
Gram

Anonymous said...

Love those blueberries! I am putting some in a cobbler for Grandpa's birthday (he preferred this to a cake) along with some Texas peaches. Can't wait to eat it. I hope I can stick a candle in it! Love, Mommie Dearest

Aimee Scogin said...

I have the same 'problem' with Grant when we go Strawberry picking... none of them end up in the bucket! Maybe a better method of paying would be to weigh the toddlers before and after the picking, then you would know how much they ate!