Thursday, August 15, 2013

Back in the Water

Ian and I went to the Florida Keys about 6 years ago and both got our Open Water Scuba Diving certification.  Ian absolutely loved it, while I was a bit nervous about the whole thing.  So, in the subsequent years Ian kept on diving and even got his advanced open water certification.  I, on the other hand, have stayed out of the water.

Ian missed having a diving buddy, and not only did it make me nervous to have him going out there without a buddy that he trusted, I wanted to be a part of something that Ian enjoyed so much.  So, for Christmas this year, my present was an underwater photography class for Ian and a refresher course for me.  

A few weekends ago we had the culmination of the class and the refresher.  We headed up to Lake Rawlings in Virginia which is specifically a scuba diving quarry.  We met the rest of Ian's photography class up there, and while Ian practiced taking pictures, I got used to being in real water again.

What I learned is that I should have initially gotten my certification in a lake instead of the ocean.  It was much more relaxing than being thrown out into the ocean.  I could put on my gear at my own pace and walk right in when I was ready.  While Ian found underwater photography a bit tricky, I actually enjoyed puttering around and being Ian's model.  One of the instructors even said I was very good at hovering.  

So, I guess I can scuba dive with my husband again.  We've got a little trip to the caribbean in store so I can hopefully try a few more nice calm dives and Ian can have his diving partner back!  The only negative is that now Ian's talking about getting the boys in the water diving as soon as he can.  While I got back in the water, I don't know if I want the boys diving for a very long time! HA!


(Ian photographs another diver in one of the underwater wrecks.)


(Another cool shot taken by my underwater photographer)


(I model for Ian as I hover in the water.)


(a close up of my dive buddy)


(another one of Ian's shots)


(fake turtle)



(the happy underwater couple)

No comments: