Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Best Lunch

I just had the best lunch experience, so I thought I'd share.  It may not sound that remarkable, but it was one of those moments that you just sit back and enjoy as a mother.  Before lunch, we had gone to a playdate where Evan and Ben both decided to be at their fussy best.  So, when we got back home I was ready for a break!  We put on some Sesame Street and I fed Ben the rest of his bottle, and we all calmed down a little.

Next, it was lunch time.  Ben sat happily in his Bumbo, did some not-so-happy tummy time (in which he started to lift up his head more!), and finally got tired enough to go in his swing for a nap.  Meanwhile, Evan watched a little Sesame Street and helped his brother with his tummy time by patting his back and rubbing his head.  What a sweet big brother!  All of this happened while I was preparing lunch, so we were off to a good start-one tired, well-fed baby, and one content big brother.

Then when it came time to wash hands and come to the table, Evan happily obliged.  We spent the next half hour eating lunch, and Evan managed to consume two pieces of watermelon, 5-6 bites of pizza, a fairly large hunk of cheese, half a pear, and half a glass of milk.  It always makes my heart glad when my picky eater decides he's hungry, and he's been on a real eating kick lately.  Between that and getting up at 9:15 this morning, I think my boy might be going through a bit of a growth spurt!

The good eating helped, but it was the conversation that was the best part of lunch.  We discussed how watermelons were triangles, counted our 4 pieces of cheese, and then started picking out all sorts of letters.  He started by saying that "V" was for violin.  Then he said that "V" was for "that", so we had to talk about the "th" instead.  Next, he said that "M" was for mommy which we had talked about before.  Then, he teased me by saying "V" was for watermelon.  I asked him what watermelon really started with.   He thought about it and then said "Y".  Pretty close if you ask me, but I told him to think and try again, and sure enough he got "W".  He finished out his lecture on the alphabet by telling me that Evan also had a "V" in it.  Pretty smart if you ask me!  The lunch finished as we listened to the music cube and talked about all the different instruments and how they made noise. 

That might not have sounded that earth shattering to you, and it really wasn't, but it was really nice and reminded me how much fun it is to stay at home with these guys.  I get frustrated a lot by the procedural things that go wrong.  They wear me out and we all get cranky sometimes.  But watching these little guys learn things and have fun is better than anything else I've ever done, hands down.  I was able to step back and see that during lunch today.  Now, everyone's happily sleeping at the same time, and I have a chance to actually breathe (or do dishes and laundry). 

Who knows what the afternoon will hold, but it should be an adventure, right?


(Here's a recent picture of my big boy just for fun...there will be more of his little brother in the next entry...)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My, Evan sure looks like his daddy in that picture. I enjoyed your sharing of your lunch. On television this morning there was a lady who had written a book that was basically "I love my children but I hate my life." Sad. You seem to do a pretty good job of putting things in perspective and remembering that when you stay home with your kids, every moment will not be a "teaching moment" nor will it be a happy moment, but it is the times like your lunch that make it all worth it. AND IT IS WORTH IT! Love, Mommie Dearest