Last week I was searching and searching for a suitable Friday adventure, and by Thursday I was still yet to find one. Then, at Little Gym that morning one of the nannies there mentioned something called Farm Days at NC State University. Apparently, it happens several days each year and gives kids the opportunity to see lots of different farm animals. It sounded like a perfect Friday activity.
So, the next morning, we hopped in the car and trekked down to Raleigh. When we got there, there were people directing everyone where to park. I really wasn't expecting it to be such a big deal. We parked and headed on in. It did take us a while to get from the parking lot to the entrance because there was a lot of fun gravel, and the walking path was marked off with really interesting ropes.
Once we did get in there were also plenty of things to interest a toddler. First, we gobbled at the turkeys. Then, we headed over to a trough where the toddlers could actually hold and pet a baby chick. I had to assist Evan a little bit with that one. We also watched and petted the bunnies. Then, we moved on to where the larger animals were. There we got to weigh ourselves on the cattle scale. (Okay, so the pregnant lady did not get on the cattle scale, but Evan loved it!) Next we saw a mommy and baby horse, some cows, and some sheep.
(Evan intently watches a baby chick before I help him hold it)
(He takes a quick second to look at the camera before getting back to the sheep.)
(If our pediatrician had this type of scale our visits would be much less dramatic!)
(Sitting in the fabulous tractor before having to make his painful exit)
Finally, after much fussing, I managed to appease him with some free ice cream! He sat on his hay bale and enjoyed his treat. Then we hopped back in the car to head home after an even more leisurely walk through the gravel and ropes back to the car. I never knew you could fit that many little rocks in the pockets of toddler overalls!
(Ice cream soothes the cranky toddler!)
Evan really enjoyed his trip to the farm! I'm looking forward to finding some more farms out in our area for Evan to explore! I'm also hoping I can turn up a tractor that Evan can sit in for as long as his little heart desires!






1 comment:
I have to tell you that your dad always had a "rock collection" when he was growing up - used to put lots of them in his mouth!! Also, we know where Evan could spend as much time as he wanted on a tractor - there is one in our garage! Love, Mommie Dearest
Post a Comment