Thursday, October 16, 2008

Saris and Celebrations


I know everyone's been anxiously awaiting the next chapter in the story of Seema and Tim's wedding, so here it is. We had gone apple picking in Saturday morning and then headed to our hotel after lunch. That night was Seema and Tim's Sangeet and Mendhi party, which is basically just a big pre-wedding celebration where everyone can get to know each other and have a good time.

I had to head up to Seema's hotel room a couple of hours early because she had brought back saris from India for several of us to wear. They were beautiful, but we needed help figuring out how to wear them! So, some of Seema's family helped all of us get dressed for that night. I don't know how people get dressed in saris by themselves.


(our happy family before the party)


(the whole Bitler clan)

After we got dressed we headed down to the party, and in typical Bitler fashion, our family was the first group of people there. After a few minutes the party got started and everyone had a great time. We had wonderful food, got our hands painted with henna in traditional Hindu wedding fashion, and watched some fantastic dancing. (I did get up on the dance floor once, but I still can't dance and would much rather watch, HA!) Evan enjoyed the first half of the party, but once the loud music started he decided to go up to his hotel room to rest.


(me and the beautiful bride)


(my hand getting painted)


(grandpa and grandson discovering a mirror)


(Saniel, Seema's brother, kicks off the dancing)


(the dancing continues with Seema and Tim's parents)


(people waiting in line for henna, notice the groom and father of the bride deep in conversation)

The party was a lot of fun and was a great preview of the wedding the next day! More stories from New England next time...

No comments: