Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Back to School

August had rolled around in St. Louis, and their school year starts much earlier than in Durham.  So, after a relatively short summer break, it was time to go back.  In early August we headed in to Fairway Elementary to visit and meet the boys’ teachers.  

We met Benny’s teacher first at a Kindergarten curriculum night.  Ian and I headed in one afternoon leaving the kids at home.  Ben’s teacher Mrs. Molengraft (Mrs. M) told us all about what to expect in the coming year.  She seemed like the perfect Kindergarten teacher and it made me hopeful for a great year to come.  We also ended up knowing several people in the class with our new neighbor across the street, Allie, as well as two boys from Benny’s newly formed soccer team, Carson and Aiden, were all in the class.

A few days after our Curriculum night with Mrs. M, we headed back to Fairway with the boys to actually meet their new teachers.  First, we headed down to Mrs. M’s classroom.  It was amazing how crowded it was.  I think every student who ever had Mrs. M had to head back down to say hi.  It was hard to find a chance to actually talk to her, but eventually Ben got to meet her.  He liked his teacher and classroom and was excited for the school year to start.

Then, we headed to the complete other end of the school to meet Evan’s new teacher, Mrs. Voss.  By contrast, that room was fairly empty, I guess the more experienced first grade families spaced out their visits a little more.  That means Evan got lots of quality time to meet Mrs. Voss.  Turns out she was equally nice and experienced as Mrs. M, and I left feeling very confident in where the boys would be spending their time.  


(Ben and Mrs. Molengraft)


(Evan and Mrs. Voss)

We spent the rest of early August making sure we had all of the items on the school supply lists, making sure their first day of school outfits were ready, and any other needed preparations.  Then, finally, the first day of school arrived.  The boys were nervous, but I think I was definitely more nervous than either of them.  I had to send both of my boys off on the school bus to a completely new school!  I was hoping, praying, and keeping my fingers crossed that they would have a great day.

We got everyone dressed, took some pictures out in front of the house, and then the whole family headed two houses down to the bus stop.  The bus stop turns out to be a pretty crowded place.  There were 10-15 kids all there waiting to go to school.  So, all of the parents had to crowd around them and get as many pictures as possible.  Then, before I was ready, the big yellow school bus was driving up to get them.  I hugged them both as many times as I could and waved bye as they stepped up the big stairs, met the bus driver, and found a seat.  I waved at them from their little seats as they drove away hoping that I would see smiling faces when they got back off the bus at the end of the day.  


(The new first grader and the new kindergartener pose before school.)


(the first graders at the bus stop-Charlie, Evan, and Addie)


(the kindergarteners at the bus stop-Allie and Ben-love this picture!)


(getting on the bus)


(my love!)

Then, being the nerd that I am, I hopped in the car with my two neighbors Amy and Charissa and drove to school to meet the bus.  That way, I could walk them to the door of the school and make sure that they had a good bus trip.  So, we made it there in plenty of time to see the bus arrive.  We snapped pictures of them getting off the bus, saying hi to the principal, and even posing next to their school mascot, the eagle.  Then, the two brothers walked in to the school together, and I finally had to say goodbye.


(The boys pose with the Fairway Eagle.)


(the boys and their principal Mrs. Krey)

Now, of course, I wasn’t going to be able to focus on anything productive that day.  Fortunately, I didn’t have to.  First, I went on a run with my friend Amy who had taken the day off.  Then, we cleaned up and headed down to Big Chief Roadhouse, a local restaurant, for an annual tradition, Mimosas for Moms.  What a great idea!  The restaurant and patio was crowded with moms all either enjoying their first day of freedom in several months, nervous about their kids’ first day, or both.  There, I sat with a group of moms, chatted, had a bite to eat and a mimosa, and got my mind off my little munchkins at school.  After a great time there, we all headed over to the adult pool at the neighborhood clubhouse and spent some more time talking and hanging out before it was time for school to be out.


(My neighbor Amy celebrates with the moms while the kids are at school!)


Finally, the bus rounded the corner again on Windjammer Lane.  I anxiously waited as the kids got off the school bus.  Thankfully, I was met with smiles and they said they had a great day!  Wow!  What a relief!  It was a great start to the school year and hopefully indicative of a great year.  Welcome back to school, Evan and Ben!


No comments: