Wednesday, October 1, 2014

One Last Day at the Beach

As the summer was wrapping up, the kids and I weren't quite done with our days in the sun.  So, before school started, we scheduled one more beach day with their best buddies Nathan and Anna.  We didn't quite know how it would go to drive three hours to the beach with just two grown ups and four kiddos-not the best odds, but we were up for the challenge.

So, on that Friday morning, Nathan and Anna and their mom Kara arrived at our house before 7.  The kids were so excited.  We hopped in the van, loaded our mountains of gear, and were off.  The drive was fairly uneventful and with a couple of movies in the back seat, before we knew it, we had found parking and were at the beach.

While it was not a quick process for Kara and I to lug the bags, cooler, tent, kiddos, etc. out to the beach.  We took the kids out to the beach to start having fun while Kara and I were ferrying gear, and it worked out perfectly.  We were so proud that we were also able to get that big tent up all by ourselves.
Then, it was time to play.  This particular spot at Wrightsville Beach was perfect because there was a shelf of beach out in the water which stopped most of the big waves.  So, the kids were able to hop out on their boogie boards and play in the waves without being taken down by too many big ones.  They loved the chance to be at the beach with their buddies.  Evan and Nathan loved boogie boarding in the ocean and later, trying to catch birds on the shore, while Anna and Benny liked playing in the sand and splashing in the waves.  Anna was having so much fun that she even wore out at one point and had to take a quick nap in the sun with her mom.

We ate our picnic lunch under our tent on the beach and played all day long.  In the afternoon, the waves started getting a little rougher and we finally decided that it was time to call it a day.  So, we started the long process of hauling our stuff back out to the car.  I was trying to take down our tent, and two college guys next to me were nice enough to offer to help.  Then, I realized that I was probably not that good looking chick who they were trying to flirt with but instead I was that older lady next to them with the kids that needed help.  Oh well, I didn't mind the assistance.

Finally, we got all the kids hosed off and in the car.  We made a quick stop for some happy meals on the way out of town and watched movies all the way back to Durham with only one small hiccup when Benny didn't quite make it to the restroom and soaked Kara's car seat, ewww.  Oh well, if that was the worst that happened, I say that it was a pretty successful trip!

Maybe we'll do it again next year!


(our view for the day)


(the big boys try to catch some fish)


(the little ones pose in the shallows)


(what a groovy group!)


(Boogie boarding boys)


(Anna takes a little rest with Kara.)


(more wildlife hunting)


(playing in the sand)


(just walking on the beach)


(What a crazy group!)

And for a little flashback....here's a few pics I found of these kiddos from a few years ago.  They've grown up just a little...


(The two big boys took some gymnastics together)


(Take a look at Anna and Benny playing in a little more sand)


(Too cute!)


(They might have gotten a little bigger since this picture, but they're still best buddies!)

No comments: