Saturday, October 11, 2014

Another Year Begins

Oh, did we have a wonderful glorious summer!  We packed those three long months with so much fun that I have to tell you, I was a bit tired by the end of it all.  However, all good things must come to an end, and eventually, our summer did come to an end.

This was a big year too.  I was a bit nervous about it all.  Benny would be starting his last year of preschool-the oldest class in the school, how did that happen?  And Evan would finally be starting Kindergarten at Creekside, our big local elementary school.

There was a lot of preparation to make sure the year started off smoothly.  Ben's school had a meet the teacher day where he got to come in, see the classroom, meet his teachers, and hang out with his classmates, both new and returning.  Ben had a great time, as expected, and loved meeting Mr. Joe and Mrs. Myra.  There was also an open house for the parents where Ian went to meet the new director and the teachers.  However, it was the same night as the Kindergarten one so we had to split up.  I imagine that will happen a lot as time goes on.

Creekside was also doing its part to get us ready.  We got our supply list and headed over to Target to buy our supplies-always one of my favorite parts of going back to school.  Then, he had a meet the teacher day where he got to go in and briefly meet Mrs. Joshua-Wilson and her assistant Mrs. Viola.  They all seemed very nice, and he even got a tour of the school from our older neighbors, Izzy and Carolyn.  That day was followed by a parent open house (the same night as Benny's) and a day where they came in briefly to be assessed by the teachers.

Finally, after all the preparations, the first days of school had arrived.  I was so nervous about Evan starting school.  I was worried that he would like it and that he would have a nice teacher.  He was a little nervous, but more excited than anything.  They started him gradually so the students could all get used to everything.  He went with half of the other students on Wednesday, then stayed home on Thursday, then the whole class had their first day together on Friday.  On the first morning, Ian and I came to school and dropped him off, stopping to capture all of the appropriate first day of school moments.  I did very well and held it together the whole time, maybe because I had Benny with me.  When I went to pick him up in the carpool line, I was so nervous.  He got in the car, and lo and behold, he had a good day!  Hooray!  We finished the first day off with a celebratory dinner at the Cheesecake Factory where Evan ate so much that he almost exploded!

A few days later, it was time for Ben to start.  All of us were much more relaxed on that day because he was very familiar with the school-we were starting our 5th year there as a family!  However, I didn't know how he'd react to being dropped off.  Even last year, he was a little hesitant to go to school and would hang on my leg outside the classroom door.  He'd be fine once he was dropped off, but I didn't know how everything would go at first.  Turns out I had absolutely nothing to worry about.  He walked right back to his classroom and I had to chase him inside for a hug!  He loves his new class, teachers and classmates.  He came home and we all enjoyed a celebratory meal of breakfast for dinner-Benny's choice, of course.

So, our year was officially started, and so far so good.  Both boys are enjoying their classes.  I debated and debated about where and when to send Evan, but looking back I feel like I definitely made the right decision.  While he was definitely not ready last year, he was ready to thrive this year.  He still complains about the "days being so big" sometimes and hasn't yet made that best friend in his class, but he enjoys it and that's what counts.

Ben is still running into class without a look back.  He loved his classmates, and has befriended all of the new students.  He seems to be the social butterfly of the group because parents are always coming up to me and saying how much their child talks about and likes Ben.  I'm glad that it's so easy for him to make friends and that he's so kind to people.

I'm so proud of both of my big boys!


(walking in to Evan's school)


(Evan and his teacher, Mrs. Joshua-Wilson)


(starting on his schoolwork)


(celebrating a successful day)


(posing on the first day)


(In front of the school-ready to go in)


(for comparison's sake-here's last year's shot)


(big boy posting on his first day)


(Here's last year's shot for Evan-it's amazing how fast they grow!)

No comments: