We woke up, got detailed navigation instructions from Seema and Tim, and started off. The boys were getting a little more used to the subways by this point. Ben wasn't holding his ears quite as much and both of them knew how to walk under the little turnstiles and wait as I came through behind them. We managed to get through our subway ride, change trains once, and get off the train right at the museum.
The boys and I had a great day exploring the museum. It was far too big to explore the whole thing in one day. In fact, I had trouble just reading the map and finding the places we wanted to explore. We wandered through a few halls filled with big displays of stuffed creatures of all kinds. We found the Hall of Ocean Life where we saw the huge blue whale hanging from the ceiling. Then, we made it to the dinosaurs and got to see all kinds of dinosaur skeletons. Evan and Ben were even lucky enough to hold some model Stegosaurus parts-a back plate and a tail spike!
Before we knew it I received a phone call from Tim to say that him and Seema were off of work and headed to meet us. I couldn't believe that our morning had passed by so quickly. We met Tim in an alcove on one side of the museum and waited for Seema. This short wait illustrated one of my greatest problems the whole time we were in New York City. It had been raining and there were puddles all over the alcove. Now, these were not the puddles that we were used to. You really don't want to go scrounging around in all of the NYC puddles. Ewwww! That didn't stop the boys. As much as I told the boys to stay out of the puddles, they were a bit germy by the time Seema got there. In fact, I feel like I spent much of the week telling the boys to not touch that or keep our mouths away from this. I'm amazed they didn't catch anything!
After we had all been reunited we hopped back on the subway and headed down to one of Seema's favorite pizza places for lunch. When a pregnant lady wants pizza, you don't disagree. When we got off the subway the weather had taken a turn for the worse so we tried a combination of umbrellas and dressing the boys up in adult raincoats and made it down to where the restaurant should have been. But it wasn't there. Oh no! Seema was so disappointed. However, with a little phone research we realized that it was still there, it had just changed names. So, we headed in and were able to have a delicious pizza lunch after all.
The weather was still crummy after lunch so we really didn't want to walk all the way back to the subway station. It worked out perfectly because the boys got to try out another typical form of New York transportation-the taxi. Seema hailed one, we hopped in, and arrived at our next destination-famous toy store-FAO Schwartz. The boys were a little overwhelmed. I told them they could pick out one item, and I was expecting to get all sorts of requests. However, they found a favorite from my childhood, slap bracelets, at that was what they had to have. With that and a candy necklace for both of them, I got out of that store with surprisingly cheap purchases.
After that we headed home for a nice relaxing evening and a little sleep. Only one more day in NYC...what else could the city possibly have in store for us??
(The whale at the museum-photography in this place was hard!)
(T-Rex on Evan's shirt meet real T-Rex in the background.)
(Look-dino fossils! In the picture before this, Ben had it in his mouth, oops!)
(The boys with the toy soldier guarding FAO Schwartz)




No comments:
Post a Comment