Saturday, May 11, 2013

What you didn't see...

Mother's Day is right around the corner, and that got me thinking.  I have adorable almost 3 and 5 year old boys that I love spending time with each day.  They get to see lots of different sides of mom. (some I'd rather them not see.)   But there's lots of moments that they don't see, lots of things that my own mom did that I'm sure I didn't clue in to.  So, that's what this post is.

Boys, in the past year filled with all of our fun, here are some of my mom activities that you may have missed...

*when I stay up late so you can have birthday Rice Krispie Treats at school

*when I peer around the brick column at school making sure you don't see me, to watch you play on the playground

*when I cry in conferences with your teachers, worried over what's best for you

*when I sneak in your rooms each night before bed to pull your covers back up, pull that arm out of its awkward position, or lift your leg back on to the bed

*when I put my hand gently on your back to make sure you're breathing or on your forehead to make sure you're not too warm

*when I pick you up and put you back in bed when you fall out while you're sleeping

*when I stare at the shelves in the toy store for what must be hours to make sure I pick out the right gift

*when I pull the mattress downstairs to sleep on the floor when you're sick on the couch

*when I cry in the dark of the hospital room in the middle of the night watching you and feeling helpless

*when I peer around the corner into the living room and smiled at you playing nicely with your brother

*when I cry (just a little) when your graduation picture surprisingly appeared in your preschool bag

*when I check out more than 10 books from the library on raising boys just to make sure I am doing it right

*when I pile your clothes that get too small into an overstuffed cardboard box to put in the attic because I can't bear to part with them

*when I hide on the other side of the kitchen island and cry because I just didn't do it right that day

*when I spend hours picking up your little toys and putting them back into their little bins in some sort of complex organizational structure that only I understand

*when I meticulously fill each little hole in the waffle with cream cheese and cut them into bite size pieces because that's how you like it

*when I pour that veggie juice into your juice cup so you make sure to get your veggies (yep, there are carrots in there!)

*when I play sock memory, trying in vain to match up what seems like a million little unmatched socks

*when I sit on the couch night after night blogging as my eyes shut so that everyone can see how adorable, smart, etc. you were

*when your dad and I are watching you, grab each other's hands, and say how lucky we are to have you


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I used to cry in the bath tub when the day had been too much. Trust me, Katy you are doing it "right" and also know that they are worth it. Keep up the good work and never think that you can't call me any time of the day or night when you need anything. It's still nice to know that you are needed, even when you're a grandmother. I love you and am so proud of you every day. Mommie Dearest