Saturday, January 22, 2011

Mom...I'm fine

Moms always worry.  I am certainly no different.  I worry about what the boys do, what they eat, what they don't do, what they don't eat, etc.  Recently, I have been worried about little Benny's development.  He is a happy little boy, and he's been doing so well, but there are certain things that he's just not doing yet.  On top of that, some of his little friends that are younger to him are starting to do those things.  So, I worried.

By this age, Evan was crawling, so I was worried because Ben wasn't crawling yet.  He really hadn't showed any inclination of wanting to crawl.  He was only on his tummy when he had to reach to get something.  Then, he quickly rolled back over to his back to examine whatever he'd grabbed.  In addition, he had not shown any signs of wanting to babble.  Sure, he made lots of sounds, including a quite spectacular growl, but he never used any consonants.  So, I worried. 

On Friday morning, I guess Ben must have noticed that I was worrying because he decided to make me feel better.  Evan was at preschool and Ben had just woken up from his morning nap.  I set out a blanket and laid him down in just his diaper so he could practice his crawling.  I set him down and was watching him.  He looked at me, put his head down and used his arms and legs to lift his stomach off the ground in the first attempt at crawling that I'd seen.  He then looked me in the eyes, smiled and said "da-da-da-da".  He then continued to scoot around on his stomach and babble at me for the rest of his time on the blanket.  He just wanted to tell me that he was okay.  He could do those things if he wanted to and would be getting around to them in his own time. 

Sometimes kids surprise you in the most wonderful ways.  He knew just what I needed that day.  What a wonderful little boy!


Sweet...


sweet little boy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You bet, he's wonderful! His Daddy never did crawl except Marine style. He just stood up and walked - less wear and tear on the knees that way:)
Love,
Gram

Anonymous said...

I never believed for one second that there was anything wrong with that baby. He was just too wonderfully adjusted - taking everything in. He was so into everything that was going on around him. This should be a lesson to you, Mom - kids will do things in their own time. Just enjoy each accomplishment when it happens. Love, Mommie Dearest
P. S. Of course, all my grandchildren are perfect. . .