Tuesday, February 16, 2010

She will be missed


Our family lost a remarkable woman today.  Helen Wheeler, our Gudda, passed away this afternoon.  I have had the privilege of knowing Ian's grandmother, Gudda, for the past ten years.  She left behind a wonderful family that she had a large part in shaping and many memories that we will all treasure forever.

I have heard stories about the wonderful wife, mother, and grandmother that she was.  Ian and his brother share stories about summers at her pool, lego building with their grandmother, many other good times.  I have also experienced good times with her that I will never forget and have had the pleasure of getting to know the fiercely loyal, witty, loving, woman that she was.

I remember visiting her and Grandad at their apartment where there was always a bowl of chocolate waiting on the table...trying to figure out their family's strange relationship with Christmas gifts and a couple of stuffed bears....eating the famous Gudda breakfast casserole...having her co-host a beautiful bridesmaids' luncheon at my wedding...seeing her treat her great-grand pig and great-grand puppy just like true family members...and finally, seeing her bond and spend time with her great-grandson, Evan.

Here are some pictures of my favorite times with Gudda.  Our family will be missing a vital piece, but we will be stronger and happier because of the legacy that she has left behind.  Thanks to Gudda for letting us all be a part of her life.

 

(One of countless fantastic birthday celebrations shared with the family)

 

(Gudda shares a laugh with her Great-Grandson)

 

(Gudda and our little family)

  

(Another delicious feast with the whole family)

  

(Gudda and her puppy love)

  

(Our last Christmas together)

 

(A grandmother's love)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lots of fond memories of a wonderful lady. She will be missed by many people. Love, Mommie Dearest

SarahBeth said...

So sorry to hear about this. My prayers are with you all. Love!

Whoopsie Daisies said...

So sorry to hear about your loss. If she's anything like the rest of the Davis family, I know she must have been a great woman!

Spring said...

What a beautiful and touching remembrance! Thank you and see you Friday. Aunt Spring