Sunday, August 3, 2008

Our Olympic Adventure

This weekend the Davis family went on its first family trip! We took the ferry from Seattle to the Olympic Peninsula of Washington. We've been wanting to go there for a while, and we wanted to go while the weather was still good. Ian and I feel like we're getting back to our normal adventures, and Evan is enjoying his first trip.


(Evan and I on the ferry from Edmonds to Kingston)

We started off the trip with a drive to the Hoh Rain Forest which is one of the very few temperate rain forests in the world. It gets about 4 times as much rain as Seattle! It was filled with giant trees covered in blankets of moss. It felt like you were in a different world when you were wandering around in the cavernous spaces under the giant trees.


(Ian and Evan in the rainforest)


(A view of the Hoh Rain Forest)

After the rain forest, we drove out to the coast to catch a glimpse of the Pacific Ocean at Rialto Beach. We weren't sure what to expect, but it turned out to be one of the coolest nature views that I've ever seen. The beach was so rugged and wild. It was a cold gray August day and the waves were crashing into the beach, which was mostly pebbles instead of sand. On the beach were huge piles of logs, and in the ocean were pillars or islands of rock rising out of the ocean. The pictures don't do it justice, but it was a really neat place.


(Our little family on Rialto Beach)


(logs lying on the beach)


(islands out at sea)

Ian and I were a bit nervous to go on our first trip with Evan, but things have gone fairly smoothly so far. We've managed to get around with Evan and keep him fed and happy. I have to thank Grandma Dot again for the "Hooter Hider" which has gotten much use in the car on this trip, Ha! Tomorrow, we continue our adventure in the mountains of Hurricane Ridge and then we're homeward bound. We'll fill you in on that adventure next time!


(Evan is worn out from all his adventuring!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a neat first trip! I enjoyed your pictures. The Pacific coast is really amazing. I am glad that Evan was having fun on the trip and not being too much trouble for his parents. Give us a call when you get back. Love, Mommie Dearest