Sunday, March 15, 2015

Losing Our Marbles!

With the cold weather settling in in NC, the kids were really getting cooped up in school.  So, it was time to take the Creekside Kindergarteners out for another field trip.  This time, we were headed to Marbles Museum in Raleigh, and again, I agreed to chaperone.  This time, Benny had the day off school, so he joined in on the fun.

The kiddos had to ride the bus, so Ben and I hopped in the car with another chaperoning mom and we drove on over to Raleigh.  We headed in and before we knew it, the lobby was being swarmed by seven classes of Creekside Kindergarteners ready to explore.  I gathered my group of five students this time (Evan, Ben, Bo, Ashley, and Jose) and we headed straight upstairs to get out of the crowds.  Marbles Museum is full of hands on exhibits so the kids can really play.  It's fun, but I knew I needed to keep a close eye on my munchkins because there was so much excitement.

We started in the sports exhibit where the kids played hockey in the their rocks, climbed on walls, pulled themselves up with ropes, and just got some energy out.  Next, we actually went to the energy room and learned how the power company makes power by doing more climbing, connecting, and button pressing.  Again, I concentrated on not losing my kiddos and continually counting to make sure that I still had 5 at all times.  I wasn't too concerned about my own boys because I knew they'd find me, but I really didn't want to lose someone else's kids, HA!


(Ashley and Evan pull themselves up.)

Our little group explored the building car tracks and the money bank area (which really needed to turn down the heat) before we headed back down to lunch.  I had one shy new student in my group and she was the only girl.  I kept trying to pair her up with another student or find her an activity to enjoy, but she still seemed a little lost.  But by the end of the day, she seemed to be opening up and having a little more fun.


(My little group)

We all met up downstairs and headed in to a conference room where a bunch of blankets were set out for a huge picnic.  We handed out all the lunches and I made sure to move my kids with a PB&J far away from their classmate with a peanut allergy.  It was amazing to look around the room and realize that everyone in there was a Kindergartener from Creekside.  The group really was huge.


(the Creekside Kindergarteners)

After lunch, they were all ready to explore a little more.  I got requests from everyone about what they still wanted to do and then we were off.  First, was the painting exhibit where they used all kinds of tools to paint beautiful pictures.  When they were done, they headed into one of the main sections where they have all sorts of cars to ride in, costumes to try on, and all sorts of other fun.  We were able to stay there for a long time.  Ben and Bo especially liked putting on costumes and getting on the pretend stage.


(My little giraffe)

Our last stop was the ocean, submarine, and pirate ship.  We went underwater, explored in the submarine, and climbed to the top of a pirate ship. By the end of the day, I think the kiddos were still ready to play more, but the adults were definitely worn out.


(Evan was attacked by a sting ray!)

It's always such a fun time, and it was so nice that Ben could come along too this time.  The next field trip is to a theater performance, and they don't need any chaperones.  Bummer!


(Looks like I still need a little work on my selfie-taking, but our whole group is at least partially in it.)

No comments: