Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Under the Sea

One of the reasons that we decided to go to St. Lucia was because it was a good place to go diving.  We looked at lots of places in the Caribbean and this was the place that had the best mix of diving and relaxing beaches.  While diving always makes me just a little nervous, I was interested to see what it would be like in the Caribbean.  Plus, at Sandals, where we stayed, diving was included with the stay at the resort, so that was a huge deal.

The first full day we were there we went to investigate the diving situation.  We had already missed the big two tank dive for the day, but they had a little dive going out that afternoon, so we decided to tag along.  I took my dramamine and was ready for a long boat ride.  However, we got on the boat, drove for about 30 seconds, and then stopped.  We were there, within sight of the resort.  Guess I could have skipped the motion sickness medicine.  HA!  

Ian helped me get my equipment ready because I'm never quite sure that I can put all the pieces in the right places, and before I knew it it was time to jump in.  It all seemed a bit rushed, but it was probably good because I didn't have time to get nervous.  I put my hand on my regulator and mask to keep it in my mouth and did a giant stride into the ocean.  

Once I made it safely in, we went underwater.  It was beautiful!  There were brightly colored coral, fish of all kinds, and even some eels and lobsters.  I stayed right on the dive master's tail and had a great time looking around.  Before I knew it it was time to come to the surface.  Ian and I both had a lot of fun and we were ready to sign up for more dives.  

We signed up for two big two tank dives later in the week, but as time passed by I got more nervous about the big dives again.  By the time we got to the boat that morning, I had butterflies.  The boat ride that day was supposed to be about an hour, so I was definitely glad for the dramamine that time.  On the way down there, past some beautiful mountainous views, I learned that I would be diving with three dive masters and other really, really experienced divers.  We would also be going to 60 ft. down, deeper than I had ever gone before.  I was so worried that I would be the one that ruined the dive and made everyone come to the surface early.  However, right before we got there, I saw a big rainbow on the horizon, and I took that as a good luck sign.

Again, once we got there, we had to hustle and hop in the water, under the looming shadow of a huge rock cliff.  It was a beautiful scene.  Underwater was just the same.  The cliff wall was covered in a beautiful reef.  We just cruised a long looking at all the wildlife trying to find creatures hidden in the coral.  I just kept thinking that this wasn't an experience I would be able to have very often and I'd better enjoy it.  I did try not to look up though.  I didn't want to really realize exactly how far under water I was.  I also started to get pretty cold.  So, at the end of the dive I was just floating there shivering, probably because I didn't have a wet suit that fit me properly.  

After that dive, I was sitting on the boat shivering as we drove to the next site.  I didn't know if I would be able to go back down.  However, I gradually warmed back up, and by the time the second dive rolled around I figured I would give it another try.  Plus, Ian let me borrow his diving cap which helped me stay much warmer.  The second dive was equally beautiful with schools of fish swimming everywhere around you, and I was so proud of myself when I made it back on the boat.  

Ian really loves diving, and I am thrilled to be able to enjoy it with him.  While I decided not to go out on the second two tank dive a few days later I was so glad I was able to join Ian on this part of the trip.  Stay tuned for more tales of our adventures in paradise!


(happy divers after the first day)


(my good luck symbol before our big dives)


(our first dive location on our two tank dive)


(after a successful day of diving)


No comments: