The race morning was beautiful, blue sky and crisp cool temperatures. Bob and I took the bus to the starting line. It was great to have Bob to run with because we had done all of our training together and we had stuck it out through dark, cold, mysterious animals, rain, and lots of other early morning running encounters. He was a great running buddy, and I definitely couldn't have done it alone, so I was happy to have him at the starting line. We were both nervous as the starting gun went off, but we were ready to go.
I have to say, the first 10 miles was great. We ran through neighborhoods full of happy people cheering us on, past harbors of beautiful blue water, and around the Wright Brothers Memorial. Then we entered the trail run portion of the race and discovered some hills we hadn't anticipated. By the time we got out of the woods at mile 13 I was tired. The next portion of the run was down the main drag on the outer banks, a big road in the sun. From there on in, I think it just got tougher. We had been dreading the big bridge at mile 23 for months, and it wasn't as bad as we thought. However, after that bridge, our legs were shot and mile 24-26 were very, very tough.
However, after 4 hours 47 minutes and 50 seconds we finally crossed the finish line, and there to meet us were our biggest fans, Bob's wife Liz, Ian, and the boys. They had made us signs and it meant so much to see them there waiting for us. When we finally met up with them, Evan gave me a big hug and told me how much he loved me. It was great!
I don't know what the future holds for me in the running department. Right now, I think I'll just bask in the accomplishment and let my poor little legs recover a little bit. But while I do it I will look at the new 26.2 sticker on the back of my car and smile!
(Almost there!)
(Bob and I cross the finish line!)




2 comments:
Woo Hoo!!! We're so proud! What a great accomplishment!
Love,
Gram
Can't believe you did it Katy! What an accomplishment! Love you, Mommie Dearest
P. S. Must have gotten those long distance running genes from your dad, the cross-country runner!
Post a Comment