Wednesday, December 2, 2009

December First

In browsing through the blogs I follow a couple of weeks ago, I became inspired when I read my friend Maggie's blog, The Cooper and Charlotte Show. She was talking about how to make really cute felt advent calendars for her kids for Christmas. I always had an advent calendar, so I instantly thought that Evan should have one. However, there was no way we could afford to purchase all of the needed supplies.

So, I decided to actually be somewhat crafty for once in my life and make a cheaper version of an advent calendar for Evan. I bought a piece of posterboard, cut out envelope halves for pockets, and glued them together. Then, for a finishing touch I stripped Evan down to his diaper and let him decorate the whole thing with green and red finger paint. I loved the result!

It is now hanging on our hall closet door filled with all manner of holiday treats for Evan, from Matchbox cars to finger puppets and even some chocolate. It's only December 3rd, and he was already looking up at it longingly this morning and asking if he could have his present. So, the much discussed and debated advent calendar is at last complete, and definitely a success. Perhaps, I will have to get a little more crafty in the future!


(Evan gets into his calendar artwork.)


(Look at those messy hands!)


(Okay, so we got tired of painting the calendar, so we started painting our diaper.)


(The beautiful finished product!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So cute! And you are such a good mom to let him get down and dirty with the finger paints.

Steffens Family said...

Your advent calendar came out so cute! Why didn't I think of that? I actually ended up finding one on sale at Target that cost as much as the materials I would have needed to make one. So, that's what I went with!

P.S. I love your blog!